- The Objective of the Memory Level of teaching is Just to impart information or knowledge to the learner.
- This knowledge or information is factual in nature, which is acquired through a mechanical process (i.e. memorization or rote learning).
- Memory Level of teaching covers only the knowledge-based objective of Bloom’s taxonomy where the students learn to identify, recall, or remember the objects, events, ideas, and concepts and retain them in memory.
- Memory level teaching lacks insight. Psychologically, it is cognitive level teaching.
Main Points of Memory Level of Teaching:
- It is the first stage of teaching to get factual information.
- It is supported by Herbart which states that this level of teaching seeks the learner to acquaint himself with the relationship between the facts and principles.
- It Useful for children in the lower classes because of their intellect is under development.
- MLT aims to get factual information, to train memory, to retrain the learning material in- memory storage, to reproduce and recognize the learned information when required
- Teacher dominated methods are used- like drill, review, and revision and asking
- The evaluation system mainly includes oral, written, and essay-type.
- Good memory includes rapidity in learning, stability of retention, rapidity in recalling, and ability to bring only desirable contents to the conscious level.
- Memory level teaching acts as the first step for understanding and reflective levels of It is a pre-requisite for understanding level teaching.
DOWNLOAD PDF OF SOLVED UGC NET EXAM PAPERS In ENGLISH AND HINDI 16 YEARS (2004-2020)
Merits of Memory Level of Teaching:
- Useful for young children
- Useful for the acquisition of facts, information of models and structure.
- Help children learn a new concept
- Useful for slow learners
- The basis for understanding and reflective level of teaching.
Demerits of Memory Level of Teaching:
- Not suitable for higher classes
- Use of rote memory
- Loss of retention and recall
- Dominance of teacher
- Little interaction in the classroom
- No room for initiation and self-learning for the students
- Not intrinsic motivation
- Problem of classroom management